Saturday 8 March 2008

Nakdong River "Walk"

View from UIT Building

One of my plan to Busan, after going to Dongnae, was to walk from campus to Nakdong River (낙동강 洛東江), one of Korea's longest and important river. Yes, you read it correctly, walk. How far is the river from campus? I took this picture on UIT Building 6th Floor in campus. You can probably judge how far is the river from campus. Since today's weather was great, I decided to give it a try.

Samnak Riverside Community Sports Park

Here you can see me happily smiling away asking someone to take a picture for me. But wait, where is the walking story then? That was where the whole episode of me getting into a conversation, and voila, a professor from my faculty which I never knew, being very kind to show me the way to the park. What 'showing' means here is no mere pin-pointing on a map, it was showing all the way until the destination, paying the bus fare for me and asking for direction from passer by for me and leading me to the bank of the river. Meet Prof. Jo Jung Bok, who was a bit shy to take a photograph with me until my persuasion of taking only one photo.

With Prof. Jo Jung Bok

My initial plan was not at this part of the river, but lucky that Prof. Jo recommended me to come over here instead. Samnak Riverside Community Sports Park (삼락강변구민체육공원 三樂江邊區民體育公園)was really nice place indeed. The view of the river was good, the facilities at the park were amazing as well. If you like tennis, inline skating, cycling or even fishing, good place to hang out. Cut the story short, just look at some of the pictures I have taken.

The following pictures show where I wanted to go initially, which was near to Nakdong Grand Bridge. Probably it was still cold and winter like, not much greens, so the places looked rather dull in comparison to Samnak Park. The river line was much further at this section of the park. There was some creek around it though.

Twelve Chinese Zodiacs. No prize to guess which one is mine.

Well, apparently I did walk back to dormitory, although only half of my initial plan was achieved. It's better than nothing, plus it was a rather eventful day given that I knew someone new, and engaged in some Korean conversation, which I can only understand probably half of it, but I was an good way to get around some tricky conversation when I met up with the professor's wife.

How long was it? It took approximately an hour from the Nakdong Grand Bridge until my dorminitory. There was pavement all the way for pedestrian, so it's rather good to walk, except with the heavy flow of traffic, the air might not be as clean. Here's a shot of my university when I was walking back.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My name is Jo, Jung Bok.

글과 사진 잘 보았소. 2008년 벌써 2년 전의 이야기와 사진이네요. 요사이는 삼락공원의 시설이 더 들어섰고 더 잘 가꾸어져 있다네. 봄에는 꽃의 향연, 여름 철에는 연꽃(Lotus)들이 만발하여 보기가 좋소.

잘 구경하고 갑니다.