Friday 15 October 2004

Was haben Sie am Wochenende schon gemacht?

This is one of the standard question my German teacher will ask every week alongside with "Haben Sie Ihre Hausaufgaben fertig gemacht?" With the Zertifikat Deutsch getting nearer around the corner, I think it's time for me to really do some Wiederholung. Last week's lesson biggest unclear concept is the verb with prefix. Trainee teacher, Frau Gaby (can't remember her Familenname) trying to explain the difference between benennen and nennen. Frau Koo (til today I don't know her Vorname) joined in to distinguish verbs with be- prefix and without, citing example sutzen and besutzen. Can't see much difference though. (Note : if any reader out there can tell me how to differentiate it, do drop me a comment) My fellow classmate also bring out the doubt that I have all these while : how to guess or tell the meaning of verbs with prefix, she gave an example : parken and einparken. I can understand how kaufen and einkaufen distinguished themselves, but parken? Keine Ahnung. Das finde ich gleich, oder?

1 comment:

Claus Eikemeier said...

Hi,
you mentioned the verb "sutzen" and "besutzen". These
words do not exist in German. Probably you mean:
"sitzen" (to sit) and "besitzen" (to own).
I do not know exactly how to explain, but I think in
English e.g. you can say:
"This is my chair" what not necessarily mean that you
own the chair, but that you e.g. are sitting there and
just have gone for a moment (in a restaurant).
In contrast, if you say "This is my car" commonly means
that you own the car.

"kaufen" and "einkaufen":
"kaufen" is "to buy"
"einkaufen" commonly has the connotation (?, additional meaning) of buying food so it is more
"do the shopping"

"parken" and "einparken":
"parken" means just to put your car somewhere and leave.
"einparken" is more specific, e.g. it means that you
take exactly that spot and put your car at that place.
I think that "einparken" stems from "hinein parken" what actually means something like "to park into"

I fear that my "help" comes too late for your exam,
but anyway perhaps it makes "my" language a little
bit clearer out there.
Greetings
Claus